Here is a sample conversation if I drop by their crib after work and something dumb happened that day:
Me: You will never fucking believe what happened today! That dickhead went and lied about that project being done. I had to pick up the fucking slack and help get it finished because of the suspense date.
My mom: What the fuck is his problem?
Me: I have NO fucking idea.
My dad: Man, that's some fucking bullshit.
Me: I hate that fucker!
You see how this is a "back and forth" or "give and take" kind of fucking conversation, right? I'd never dream of looking at either of my parents and just out right saying, "Fuck you." Oh HELL NO! All hell would break loose because I would have violated "swearing etiquette." Yes, that's right: Swearing Etiquette. Swearing etiquette basically dictates that you may use any cuss word on the planet in the context of having a conversation WITH someone - you can tell stories, talk about people, or just use swear words for added "effect."
Once you start directing your cuss words AT the other person, shit takes a wayyyyyy different turn. "Fuck you, you asshole. You're a son of a bitch and you're full of shit." That right there? That is off limits, unless you are specifically intending to cuss that person out. In that case, there are no rules, you hit below the belt, and basically let your evil fly like the wind. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that I have engaged in this type of cuss-fest. I usually win in a contest like this. Yes, my ability to turn words into daggers via cursing is unparalleled. (Not something I'm proud of, just a statement of fact.) As a matter of fact, I just had one of these kinds of conversations last week. Those are "last resort" kinds of conversations. Maybe I'll tell you that story later.
Now, the reason I am writing this post about cussing today is because a certain 9-year old hooligan who lived inside of my body for 9 months told me today (after I yelled, "Jackass!" to the car in front of me who was committing some ridiculous driving infraction) that I needed to watch my mouth. Of course, you know damned well, I looked in the rear view mirror just to make sure that little dude was actually speaking to me. I had just picked him up from his dad's and we were on our way home. Here's how that conversation went:
Me: What'd you just say?
Him: You should really watch your mouth. My dad watches his mouth. You should try to be more like him. [*side note: at that point I nearly swerved off of the road roaring with laughter -or- was it blinding anger that anyone in their right mind would EVER tell me that I needed to be more like the ex?]
Me: Well, here's what I think about that: 1. You've already heard those words. 2. You've already heard those words out of MY mouth. 3. You already know that you're not allowed to say any of those words until you're 18, so what's the big deal?
Him: I guess you have a point.
*End of Conversation*
Now, here's my fucking disclaimer, lest you think I'm the worst mom on earth (which I wouldn't really care about anyway, because I know some moms who suck worse than me): I do not just randomly drop f-bombs in front of the hooligan. If one flies out, it's usually some kind of situation where I am either in severe pain from stubbing my toe on something or I'm extremely pissed because I just dropped a huge container of rice all over the floor. Both of those situations would likely elicit a very loud "FUCK!!" I also don't swear in front of OPK (other people's kids). I get it - not everyone is a fan of cussing, and it's just not their thing. So, I DO watch my mouth in front of OPK. Actually, if I respect someone, and I know it's not their thing, I will curb my use of the foul language around them (but invariably, something will fly out of my mouth, because I'm me). And bear in mind that I'm not a no-brained dimwit who doesn't care about where I choose to let loose with my "inner sailor." I know when NOT to cuss - and that is one of the key reasons I manage to stay employed.
I have no concern whatsoever that my kid will be fine growing up hearing me cuss. He's smart like me - he just knows better than to use swear words until he's 18.
4 comments:
It should scare me how alike we are...although...my 13 year old swears...around the house. He knows who not to swear in front of (his grandparents... Oh the horror...its bad enough we let him watch R rated movies, but he can swear too?????) also, he uses his swear words appropriately, and that's really the most important thing. And if he does letone slip? Well, hevhas Tourettes Syndrome and everyone thinks people with TS swear uncontrollably anyway.
My daughter won't. Just won't...but, she's my kid, so I know its only a matter of time.
My dad was a lot like yours, and by that I mean he didn't censor himself worth a shit, or make any effort to do so... Our boy Mooner likes to call himself the "World's Most Inappropriate Man", and even went so far as to make that slogan the subtitle of his autobiography, but in reality MY dad was the world's most inappropriate man, by far. And like fruit that doesn't fall far from the fucking tree, I tend to communicate more clearly when I'm not trying to "nice'n it up" for the uninitiated in public. I think that self-censorship causes ulcers in otherwise healthy, clear minded adults.
At one of my son's college soccer games I was roaming the sidelines (because I'm a pacer and can't sit in the stands like normal people when my kids are playing sports) and said the following words to a player on HIS team who was whining to the referee for a call: "Stop crying and play the fucking game!"
That kid's mom happened to be sitting in a lawn chair within earshot and proceeded to give me a mini-lecture about watching my language. I watched it for about half a second, then explained to her that my language was my mother fucking business and she could take her happy ass to the bleachers with the other Pollyannas if she didn't like it.
The referee came over to the sideline and asked us to hold it down. During the game. A college soccer match.
Someone lecturing me about my cursing is about as welcome as someone telling me they don't like my attitude.
It's like an embossed "fuck you" invitation waiting to happen.
Speak your mind, Michelle. It's a glorious thing to behold when you're angry!
Okay, Mel...I feel better now about how my mouth runs in front of the hooligan. I'm not sure if he will dare to cuss even when he is a teenager. I'm not even sure I'll care very much - as long as he doesn't violate swearing etiquette. LOL
Bob - that's fucking hilarious that you got lectured at a COLLEGE soccer game by some dude's mom. THAT is fucked up. People need to lighten the hell up. One thing I know for sure - when I cuss, people usually end up laughing their asses off (as long as I'm not cussing AT them).
I have always believed that every werd that IS a werd (and some that are not ie: "That's some Fraggerknockle Bullshit!) should be allowed in conversation. I mean all of 'em. And a well placed expletive, articulated at the precise moment is irreplaceable. I think children, on the other hand ... should not be allowed to speak until they reach the age of majority. And only then when spoken to. Good luck with yorn ....
good write ......
Post a Comment